Sunday, November 2, 2008

What Should we Protect?

In my intro of myself, I mentioned I started blogging as a place to "get it out". With the upcoming election, this is something that has been on my mind more than ever. This post might offend some people, but I don't apologize for my beliefs, just as you shouldn't for yours. So, unless you are reading with an open mind, you might not want to read this.

Currently, 1,556 known species in the world have been identified as endangered, or near extinction, and are under protection by government law (Glenn, 2006, Webpage). This approximation, however, does not take into consideration the number of species threatened with endangerment that are not included under the protection of such laws as the Endangered Species Act.

Humans have also set standards for which species they think should be saved and which species they find unimportant. For example, the coqui frog in Hawaii is so common that its “nocturnal singing” reduces the value of homes and prevents hotels from using rooms near the forest. Hawaiians have proposed eliminating the frog, and several wildlife managers want to release a pathogen to kill the frogs (Minteer & Collins, 2005, p. 333). This example of the coqui frog demonstrates how humans have no consideration for the life of another species, and are more concerned about their own contentment and personal gain. The frog decreased the value of homes and lost business for several hotels, so the Hawaiians figured it was acceptable to get rid of the group of coqui frog living near them, without taking into consideration the environmental impact of destroying the species.

How is it, there are laws protecting 1,556 different animals, yet we can take an innocent human life, because like the coqui frog in Hawaii, it wasn't what we wanted, planned, or could be a nuisance?

I truly believe human life begins at conception, not when you hear the first heartbeat (which can be as early as 6 weeks). At what point do we look at ourselves as a nation and realize we've messed up somewhere. Are those 1,556 animals more important than your child? Oh, of course not, you decided to have him/her. Had you chosen the other option, as a nation, it would have been "OK". No one would have questioned your reason. Yet, if I kill an endangered animal on the list, I could go to jail or be outrageously fined. I truly don't understand!
If I weren't ready for the consequences, I should not have participated in the actions. I know there are cases of rape in which a child is conceived, but just because the conception didn't happen the way you planned it, does it make God's creation less worthy of living?
At only 3 weeks, you can already distinguish the eyes, spine, and feet.
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." Psalm 139:13

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Amazing isn't it? I was at the doc's office today for checkups and I overheard a conversation that made me so sad. Two people were discussing a third friend's impending parenthood. One revealed that they had found out the baby was a certain gender and the other person gasped and said, "Oh no..." as if that gender was less. It is a fact that I have THREE of that gender, two of them were with me. My heart was hurt for this little girl to come...that these people would think her coming was not a time of rejoicing for her new dad, but a time of disappointment.

May the Lord hold all of our little ones, born and unborn, in His hands.