Monday, November 10, 2008

Idolatry?

I was at a church for a leadership meeting this weekend when I noticed something that really bothered me and I wanted to share it someone hoping to get insight. I'm sure I misinterpreted what I saw, but to be honest, I just don't know.

As I turned the corner, I noticed a big cross on the wall. Above the cross it said, "Soul Winner". That's a good definition and is definitely fitting above a cross. I then looked down and saw children's hand prints all around. Just as adults need to won over to Christ, so do children. What bothered me though, was the picture in the middle. It wasn't Jesus Christ, it was President-Elect, Obama hugging different children. Is that a form of idolatry or did I completely misunderstand or misinterpret what I saw? He's not even in office yet and people are holding him in such high regard that his face is already plastered on a cross and he's been given the title "Soul Winner."

There is not one human being on this planet that can win souls. It is our responsibility to "...go and make disciples of all nations.... teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." Matthew 28:19. It is only through their personal decision to accept Christ as their savior that their soul can be won.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've seen so much idol worship of Obama, it's ridiculous. It might be something we sort of expect from those who are lost, but not from Christians.