Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Our Zoo

I finally surrendered my control over the pipe cleaners and allowed K to use his imagination to create something. I guess I finally realized that's what I bought them for.

The first thing we made was a butterfly. M didn't like it too much since K went around the house pretending to be a butterfly saying "swoodle" everywhere he went.
The next thing we made was a turtle. It's a blue, green, and black turtle, but... it's a turtle. That's what I love about a child's imagination, it has no boundaries.


Then we made a monkey. I actually made 2 different versions of a monkey. K picked out the colors. M was a lot happier with the "results" of K being a monkey versus a butterfly.

Then, we made a horse and added a chicken that one of K's friend had given him.

Of course, all the animals have to have a place to live, so I found a perfect shoebox that already had "bars" on them. I just had to cut them out. As I was cutting the bars, K gently reminded me to make sure I made a door so the animals could get in and out. :-)



This morning, we made a silver elephant with red legs. I just finished making a baby green elephant. So, I guess when our zoo is completely finished, if that ever happens, I will post more pics.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Very cute creations...they do that if we just let 'em, huh? I like how you expressed "surrendering control" of the pipe cleaners. I do that so often...keep things like art supplies tucked away for the "perfect" lesson when I should just be letting them get them out and expressing themselves. Missed opportunities due to MY control!