Monday, November 3, 2008

Free $$$???

As I siphoned through the mail today, I noticed I had an envelope that said "check enclosed". As I curiously opened the check, I wondered if I had overpaid someone or something. It was a $10 check made out to me. Woo Hoo!!! Who wouldn't want free money? Since I didn't recognize the sender, I quickly flipped the check over to notice the fine print on the back.

"By cashing this check I agree to a 30 day trial offer in PrivacyGuard. I understand that the $64.99 semi-annual membership fee will be automatically billed to the card I have on file with B***** unless I cancel the membership by calling...." I quickly tore the envelope into pieces.

I couldn't believe it... There was a catch. You mean I wasn't getting free money in the mail. I wholeheartedly believe there are a few places that give things away for free, occasionally, but you must be careful to read the fine print. Sometimes all they want is for you to test the product and advertise for it. Other times, like some government funding, you MUST be careful to know and understand what kind of trap you could be falling into. You may not ever have to personally pay the money back, but someone does.

If the government is offering us free health care, what will the "cost" be in 10 years? What will the quality of service be like? How long will we have to wait for our checkup or prescription refill? What will it actually cost our retirement funds when and if we can retire?

Be cautious of all the things that are promised, unless they are promised by God.

Even my salvation cost Jesus Christ's life.

"What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?" Matthew 16:26

No comments: