Monday, November 24, 2008

Walls Closing In

We just had some friends over and they invited us to lunch. Unfortunately, we couldn't go eat with them because K was overdue for a nap, which he didn't want to take. Upon their departure he started throwing a fit. He usually only throws a fit when he's hungry or tired. In this case, he was probably both. Either way, being hungry or tired does not excuse a bad attitude or disrespect. So, he was punished and sent to his room.

"Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him." (Proverbs 22:15)

I'm not afraid to spank my children, although I really don't like to, but if I'm not careful it can turn into a power battle. He'll get spankings and in turn will get louder and more disrespectful and the cycle will continue for a while if I let it. I've found the best way for him to calm down is to explain to him why he's in trouble, have him repeat it back to me, and then just leave the room. He'll fuss and scream for a while, but he'll fall asleep and I don't harbor anger.

Why can't he just listen to me and calm down immediately? Why does he have to fight it so hard to only realize it's really what he actually wants and needs? He knows he's tired. He knows I love him. Wouldn't it just be easier to say, "yes, mam, I'll take a nap" and just go to his room? There wouldn't be any punishment involved and no feelings would be hurt.

So, as I listen to my son scream in anger in his room, I can't help but imagine myself in an enclosed room with the bare walls closing in around me and screaming at the top of my lungs. No one can hear me and there isn't a door for anyone to rescue me. I'm at the end of knowing what to do so I surrender to my emotions and feelings and cave to my knees to pray. It is only in the comfort of prayer that I begin to feel the weight lifting off my shoulders. I start to feel my heart lightening again and the room is starting to regain it's size. I feel peace again.

Why is it I sometimes wait until I can't find any other answer to any of my problems that I surrender all I have? Why do I wait until I feel hopeless in my problems before I take them to God?

"Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul; if you find it, there is future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off." (Proverbs 24:14)

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him brings eternal praise." (Psalm 111:10)

No comments: