Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Probiotics it is!


 In preparing to start the GAPS diet, it's recommended to be on a probiotic so that all good bacteria will be replaced while getting rid of the bad bacteria. What most don't realize is that while antibiotics help our bodies heal quicker, they also do a lot of damage to our good bacteria which can lead to other issues later on. Since taking dairy and most carbs out of my diet, my digestive system seemed to be rebelling and wasn't flowing as normal. I got these probiotics in yesterday and took my first one after lunch. Within an hour my digestive system seemed to be working a little better than. I chose this one because it was recommended by someone that I met on a FB group about the candida diet, which I am also researching because that was the primary reason I stopped eating sugar... because of the excessive yeast in my body.
Here are a few pros and cons of probiotics.
Speaking of probiotics, I started my first round of milk kefir, often referred to as MK by those who take it and are on Facebook talking about it. I purchased dehydrated kefir from a trusted site and used store bought pasteurized milk to activate the kefir. Apparently since they've been dehydrated they must be activated with regular milk (not raw) because it has the best effects because it has most bacteria. It's said to take about 4 cups of milk over a period of 5 days. After the kefirs have been activated you can then use raw milk if you desire. The are a lot of health benefits to incorporating kefir into your daily diet. Although I have a couple of friends that have incorporated kefir into their daily lifestyle diet, I'm kind of surprised I'm just now hearing about this.


No comments: