Sunday, December 21, 2014

Eczema... It's Back with a Vengeance!

If you've been following this blog for the past few days or week you read that I took my 4 year old off of dairy. Well, then we had friends over and I let him indulge in smores, marshmallows, and chocolate and from there we had Christmas parties and I slacked as a mom and let him indulge. On Thursday, at his sister's Christmas party he had a piece of double doozie chocolate chip cookie cake, pizza, and hot chocolate. Then Friday, he had HIS Christmas party which also included a cupcake and candy from the parents. He LOVED it, but his body not so much. By the time we left the Christmas party on Thursday, his rash was SO bad that he had been scratching it and it was bleeding and his ears were not only completely red, but were swollen. They were so red that even his brother noticed and that says a lot!
We went to the doctor just to make sure it wasn't any thing else because his rashes had never been this severe and he confirmed what I already knew. Yep.. he had eczema which was "probably" triggered by an allergy, but since he's never been tested he couldn't say what since he has never had allergy testing. I've been doing enough food elimination and research that I know what he's sensitive to and this just confirmed it. The doctor gave me 4 prescriptions. Honestly, I'm not even sure what they are,  but one was an ointment. One was an oral prescription and I'm not sure what they 3rd one was. Can you tell I didn't get them filled. I know the cause. I know how to help him heal from the inside so no need to spend extra $$$ for things that will actually cause more damage.
 
 
 

 It has taken my body over a week to heal from the smore and chips and dip I ate. I can't imagine how long it's going to take his poor little body to recover, but just by restricting his sugar and dairy intake for a 1 day and removing dairy and candy from his diet for a day (today), he's already improving and not scratching anymore.
Healing on the outside has started simply because we reduced and are restricting the things that cause even though he'd drink milk and have ranch with EVERY meal and in between meals if he could.
He probably isn't looking forward to it (because of dietary restrictions), but I'm looking forward to him healing and being able to eat what he prefers (in limits) once he is healed. He's a picky eater so I'm going to gear up for a battle, but it will be worth it.

No comments: