Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Oil Pulling

My journey to health began a LONG time ago when I used to do fitness competitions (pre-kids) that only lasted a couple of years but it wasn't until recently that I got back on the health bus and I'm so glad I did. My intro back into becoming a "crunchy" mom started about a year ago when I started oil pulling. I heard about it, did a little research and without hesitation I started... BEFORE the new year began. Yep... can you believe I didn't put a date on it??? I started when I was ready and I think that had a lot to do with the changes staying. That and seeing all of the benefits of course!
It's a simple process that can seem overwhelming at first, but once it becomes a habit, it's hard to go back to store bought mouthwash. I like the fact that I don't have crazy dragon breath in the morning... you know the breath so bad you can smell it yourself. EEK! Yeah...that one! I like the fact that I can get about a year's supply for less than 2 BIG bottles of store bought mouthwash that only lasts about 1.5 months between my husband and myself. I like that it's all natural.
After oil pulling for about 6 months, the summer came and with it so did sleeping in. See... oil pulling during school season is easy for me because I rinse while I get ready. The timing is perfect. During summer, my kids are old enough they let me sleep in a little and I don't always have somewhere to go so I don't always have something to get "ready" for. With that being said, I hadn't noticed the benefit of oil pulling until I stopped. I guess absence made my mouth grow founder. It wasn't too much longer after I had stopped oil pulling that my constant ulcers had come back. I had completely forgotten how bad I used to get mouth ulcers. Within a couple of days of starting back, the ulcers were gone again and haven't returned.
Another nice benefit was that right before I had originally started oil pulling I had gone to the dentist and she discovered I had a small cavity. When I went back 6 months later after 6 months of oil pulling, my cavity had NOT gotten bigger. That's a BIG deal. I don't know that I've ever had a cavity stabilize like that and my dentist was actually surprised by the fact that it had.
Since being back on the oil pulling train my allergies and sinuses have calmed down, my dragon breath has gone away, my mouth feels fresher longer, I no longer get morning breath that sometimes happened hours after I brushed my teeth (before I oil pulled), and I think my teeth are actually whitening.
There are TONS of benefits to oil pulling and you can find TONS of great resources. I purchase my organic oil from Amazon. Do NOT get coconut oil from Wal-Mart. I made that mistake. It is not refined and does NO good.

No comments: