Thursday, December 4, 2008

Wait & See

When I was 8 months pregnant, I felt an odd discomfort right below my left rib cage. I didn't think anything of it thinking it was from the pregnancy. Well, baby L is now 8 months old I have had the same discomfort on several occasions. The most recent was when I was working at the gym two weeks ago.

I talked to a friend of mine that is a nurse and she suggested that it could be a hernia. Once again, I put it off. Finally, last week, I decided to go to the Dr. to see what they thought. I chose not to go to my family Dr. because the wait is always too long, but to go to a local walk-in instead. M and I have used the Urgent Care walk-in Dr. before and we both like him. He seems to really care about his patients, listens to them, and actually knows what he's talking about. Anyway, he said the symptoms I have sounded like a hernia, but since I wasn't able to make it happen again nor could he feel or hear anything abnormal, he ordered a CT scan. I did the scan on Wednesday. The CT scan was easy, drinking the 2 glasses of kool-aid was awful!

That night, I saw my family Dr. at church and asked him who he would recommend for a surgeon. I mentioned that I might have a hernia and surgery might need to be done. I mentioned we were waiting for the CT scan to come back to find out for sure.

Today, I received a call from my family Dr.'s nurse asking for me to make an appointment for a follow-up. I mentioned to her that we were waiting on the CT scan to find out if I actually had a hernia or not. She told me they already had the CT scan and they wanted to see me A.S.A.P. He wasn't able to see me on Friday and I wasn't able to go on Monday, so I am going in on Tuesday. She said I don't have a hernia, but nonchalantly said that I have a cyst on my left ovary but that's no big deal. She said women get them all the time and they come and go. When I asked her why the Dr. wanted to do a follow up, she couldn't really give me an answer. She did tell me that if I get sick or throw up between now and Tues, to call them and let them know as soon as possible.

You know, I'm not worried because I know God is in control, but seriously why would a Dr. that I didn't even go to for initial evaluation want to do a follow up if nothing is wrong? I tried calling him at home a couple of times, but he didn't answer.

I guess we shall see on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Praying for you N.

Kimberly