Monday, December 29, 2008

Reading Aloud

In anticpation of my nieces arrival, I started praying for wisdom in things to do and say with and to them. I know their lifestyle and habits are going to be a lot different here than they were at their home. One of those differences is in television watching. M and I don't have cable and I just found out 2 days ago that we get 2 local channels. Changes are already occurring in their phone time too. I remember when I was their age, I enjoyed talking on the phone (a lot), but I don't ever remember disrespecting someone else's parents so much that I would call their house at midnight.


Anyway, one of the changes that we have implemented is reading aloud. A friend of mine suggested Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah, Stephen, and Grace Mally. The book really is about what the title suggests. It talks about the "normal" hardships we endure as siblings. It also has some self-evaluation quizzes in it that are fun.


We've only been reading it for a few days, but it's truly been a delight. It gives us special time together in which none of us are allowed to talk on the phone. If someone calls, I take a message and call them back later if it's not too late. the girls are enjoying it so much that they are actually asking me if we can read the book. Before we started, I thought we might read a few pages each every day and be done. That wasn't the case. We've only been reading it 4 days and we're already on page 70. Not only are they spending quality time together, but they are learning reading and comprehension skills and books of the Bible. It really has been an exciting week around here and I can't wait to see what God has in store for us in the next few months.

No comments: