Sunday, October 26, 2008

Safety in Church?

As I sat in church listening to the pastor the other day, I notice the couple in front of me had their newborn with them. I couldn't help but smile, especially since my memories with baby L at the stage were so new. As I continued to listen to and watch the pastor, I noticed the lady moving around in front of me. It was as though she was looking for something. Her newborn seemed content and was very quiet. As I watched for the next few seconds, I noticed that she was putting a nursing cover around her neck to cover herself as she fed her child. As a breastfeeding mom, I smiled and wondered for a brief moment if she knew if the church had a nursing room. I started to mention it to her, but then realized if she wanted to get up and go somewhere private, she would have. So, I chose not to say anything at all.

That afternoon M and I had lunch with some Sunday school peers at one of their houses. As we sat around the living room watching the kids play and talking, someone mentioned the "nursing lady". The topic quickly escalated.
"Did you see the lady in front of us?"
"I couldn't believe she was doing that."
"I kept waiting for her to get up to leave, but she never did."

It wasn't long into the conversation that I interjected my two cents, as I am known to do. I told those around how I felt about it. I thought it was great that she felt comfortable doing that in her pew. She was completely covered and was doing something she was designed by God to do. Besides, if she didn't feel comfortable nursing her child at church than where could she?

As a Christian breastfeeding mom the one place I should feel the most comfortable breastfeeding my child is at church. Seriously! If I don't or can't feel comfortable breastfeeding my own child at church, where should I feel comfortable? In the privacy of my own home? Church should be the one place that I shouldn't have to worry about people looking at me with lustful eyes or in judgement.

It's not my place to judge others or the decisions they make. I have enough to worry about. Although my peers don't agree with what the lady chose to do, it's not my right to judge anyone or the decisions they make.

"Do not judge or you two will be judged." Matthew 7:1

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

N, you are right that we should feel safe in church, but as a nursing mom 4 times now, I NEVER felt comfortable in church. With my first 2, it was a huge deal to nurse them at the church we attended. It was a very disheartening time for me. With #3, we had changed churches and I ended up nursing in my car. Yep, rain, shine, heat, cold. I had to lug her to the car. A church our size had no nursing mom's room. Finally, with #4, after mentioning it several times, we got a room. I still resented having to leave service. They often forgot to turn the sound on in there, so I would truly miss the service.

I think our society, and our churches, are missing an opportunity to encourage new moms in their decision to nurse. Many moms quit because of things just like this!

Thanks for letting me vent.

Kimberly

Mommy N said...

Kimberly,
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Thanks for venting.