Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Always teaching

On our way to do errands as a family, M decided it was time for him to give blood. Quickly after checking in to give blood as well, I realized I wouldn't be able to b/c I still have sinus issues and you can't give blood if you are sick in any way.


I wasn't sure how it would go with me watching the two kiddos while M sat in a chair turning very ghostly as blood went from his arm into a plastic container. Let me mention that K only came to the hospital for a very short period of time when I had baby L b/c it scared him to see his mommy with tubes coming from my arms. Although he's getting better, he doesn't do well in hospital settings.


As always, we used it as a learning experience to teach him about helping others. We compared it to his money box. Just as money is stored in it until he needs it for something, the blood bank stores blood until others need it, usually when they have an accident and lose a lot of blood. He seemed to understand it, about as much a 3 yo old can.


He got to watch Ms. Courtney put the needle in his dad's arm. He did really well. Afterward, as we were going to Home Depot, he asked his daddy. "Is your arm feeling better?" I thought it was cute how he was concerned about his dad's well being.

No comments: