Friday, December 11, 2009

Just Another Day

I have to say that Thursday started out as any other day, but seemed to grow more interesting by the moment. After the kids ate breakfast, we went outside to play in the cold. They were all bundled up in their jackets and I was in a sweater. I stayed in the garage and watched them play as their noses and checks turned red. They were having so much fun, but about 45 minutes was about all I could take of being outside in the wind guarded garage, so we went inside.
After being inside for about an hour and the kids having been awake for about 2-2.5 hours, K proceeded to tell me that he threw up last night. Yep, my 4 year old woke up in the middle of the night to throw up and I didn't know anything about it until the next morning. Apparently, he had woken up, went into the living room, threw up in our fireplace bucket (the one that we use to empty out the ashes), and threw up. The evidence was still there. I was a little saddened by the fact that he didn't feel the need to wake me up or tell me when it happened so I could comfort him and lay with him until he went back to sleep. My boy is growing up.
At some point shortly thereafter, as I was checking my e-mail, K let me know that his sister had climbed on top of the stove. I'm such a good mom! At least it wasn't hot.
Then, we did a little school. K is breezing through his schoolwork, but he enjoys it. As of now, we've done 6 weeks of school (no more than 30 minutes a day) in 13 days. Of course, it's the beginning of a kindergarten curriculum and so it's just review, but it's preparing him for the more detailed lessons of reading. He likes it.
A little after lunch, I got a text message from a friend offering to give me a breast pump. We arranged for me to pick it up before I went to my 2:15 Dr. appt. A few minutes before we were about to leave, K informed me that he wanted to stay home because his stomach was hurting. Since his daddy was at work and he's only 4 that really wasn't an option. So, we got ready to leave. As we were walking toward the door, K threw up, not just a little this time and not in a bucket, but all over the kitchen floor near the entrance way, in front of his sister, and all over himself. Nice! Needless to say, I called the Dr. to reschedule my appt. After I realized he was done, I took him to the bathroom to give him a bath. When I realized his sister didn't follow us, I ran back into the kitchen to find her standing next to the vomit about to clean up the mess with her white blanket that she sleeps with. JOY! I caught her as she was leaning down to "mop" it up. It was such a nice and thoughtful gesture, but had the potential for an even bigger mess. While K took his bath and L played in and around the bathtub, creating a mess in the bathroom, I cleaned up the kitchen.
After K finished his bath, he said he felt fine and continued to play when he got the wonderful idea to clean the living room for me. YEAH!?! He did a very good job and even got his sister involved. I have such wonderful kids.
In the midst of cleaning, L decided to try to eat one of our VCR cases and ended up cutting her lip (or tongue) and of course it started bleeding. At this point, I had one kid that had thrown up a couple of times, vomit that I had cleaned up, a missed Dr. appt, and a young one with another busted lip, almost as bad as the one she had earlier in the week (might have been the previous day. *smile*
It wasn't even 3 o'clock! After her lip stopped bleeding, we all took a nap in hopes of waking up to a more calm and relaxing afternoon. K ended up sleeping 3 hours and I only slept for about an hour because L woke up earlier than expected.
Just another day!

No comments: