Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Clean House

At times when I go to a friend's house, I can't help but wonder how they keep their house so clean. It seems as though it's always immaculate, even when they say, "it's dirty". I can't help but wonder what they would think of mine and I smile. The other day I went over to a friend's house for a Christmas party and aside from the dirty dishes we had created and a few toys on the floor that the kids had put aside to help clean up, the house was considerably clean when we left. The next day she mentioned she was cleaning and I couldn't help but wonder what exactly she was cleaning.
Then, I realized that they (the ones with immaculate houses) probably spend a good amount of time cleaning or don't have kids. Although I do teach and have taught my kids to clean up after themselves, most nights there are a few toys left on the floor and my kitchen ALWAYS needs to be swept.

There was a time that I had a hard time going to bed if there were dishes in the sink. Now, I'm just grateful that I have a family that dirties the dishes and will put their dishes in the dishwasher if they're able to.

There was a time when I didn't have to do loads of laundry every week, but then we had kids.

There was a time when I never had toys on the floor, but the my son learned how to walk and I was more interested in him playing and learning than in stressing over how clean my house was.

There was a time when my floors didn't need to be swept everyday, but then our son starting playing outside more.

There was a time when I didn't need to mop every other day, but then my kids started learning how to feed themselves and drink from cups.

There was a time when my bathtub didn't stay full of toys, but then I had kids that started bathing themselves.

There was a time when I could could cook without having to worry about burning anything, but then I had kids that could talk and I wanted to listen.

There was a time when I could read a book or watch a movie in silence, but then I had kids that became interested and had questions. I want to answer their questions.

There was a time when we could take a vacation without having to worry about getting sitters.

There was a time when my counter tops were always clean and void of mail, but then we started getting Christmas cards and letters from the church.

There was a time when I could go to the store when I wanted without having to worry about if I had enough diapers in the diaper bag, but then God blessed me with the responsibility of caring for His children.

Once again, there will be a time when I do the dishes every night before I go to bed. There will be a time that I don't have to do loads of laundry every week. There will be a time that I won't have toys all over my floor. There will be a time that I don't have to sweep every day. There will be a time that I don't have to mop every other day. There will be a time when I don't have a bathtub full of toys every night. There will be a time when I can cook without burning the food. There will be a time that I can read a book or watch a movie in silence anytime of the day I want. There will be a time when my husband and I can take vacations again without having to worry about sitters. There will be a time that I will have clean countertops again. There will be a time when I can go to the store without loading up kids and all their necessary supplies. As for now, I count my blessings and what others may think of as interruptions each and every time they happen, for I truly delight in the gift God has given me, the gifts I call children.

I'm okay with the fact that my house never looks like it came out of a Southern Living magazine nor will it ever be chosen as a "Featured Home". I am proud of the fact that my children are not afraid to be kids, but still know and understand the responsibility of cleanliness. My kids aren't afraid to make a mess, but they do know how to clean one up too. I've never yelled at my kids for spilling milk, but instead I hand them a towel and taught them how to clean it up.

So, if you ever come to my house, don't be offended if I don't apologize for the mess, because I'm too busy thinking of all the memories we've created by the things we've done.

Don't become so busy doing things for your kids that you forget to do things with them.
Although Mary and Martha both served Jesus in their own style, Mary is the one who got to spend time with Him because Martha was too busy cleaning and doing housework. Don't be so busy that you miss out on wonderful opportunities and chances to share Jesus with your kids and with others. Don't get distracted like Martha did. Luke 10:40-41

Enjoy the blessings God gave you, because one day, the kids will grow up and the house, although full of memories, will be quiet.


No comments: