Friday, February 13, 2009

Pleasant Surprise

The other day, M and I went out to eat with a friend for his birthday. We were the first ones there and one of the first to leave, 3.5 hours later. M and I never were the stay out late kind of people, but now that we have kids, we're usually home before the clock strikes midnight.

Our babysitter wasn't able to watch the younger kids for us, so we asked Victoria and Courtney if they would and they agreed. I locked the computer so they wouldn't be able to get on it while we were gone and I even let them know I was setting up the video camera to tape them while we were gone. I wanted to see who did what and how they treated each other while we were gone. I have to say I was a little nervous. The last time I had left them all alone, we got several phone calls letting us know that one or the other wasn't helping and when we got home, K was still awake. We were gone longer than I had expected that time, but it was only 3 hours.

I don't like setting up a video camera, but I want them to feel as though everything they do is being watched, because it is. Although I can't watch and be aware of everything they do every minute of every day, God is very aware of everything they do and they need to be aware of that. I also needed to know who was telling the truth about doing what.

What they don't know is that I haven't watched the video because I don't really think I need to. All three of them had very similar versions of how the evening went. I guess the video camera served it's purpose. Courtney even told me she moved it a little it would record her and K better when they sang. Courtney is a singer by nature. She sings so much that I have lyrics in my head from songs I have never heard. :-)


We got a phone call from the girls about 2 hours after we were gone asking where the lighter was. That made me a little nervous. They told me they were making us something, but couldn't tell us what it was. I trusted them and we finished our dinner. Here's a picture of what K and the girls made for us while we were gone.

They even made some cupcakes for them to eat so they wouldn't have to wait for us to get home. They didn't put much icing on our cake because M is trying to watch his weight in preparation for our vacation to Hawaii in a couple of weeks.
The cake and the cupcakes were very good. It was a pleasant and delicious surprise.

No comments: