Sunday, February 8, 2009

Baby Sign

Baby L started waving bye-bye a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't until today that I realized she can sign milk. They're so similar that I didn't realize that she was actually doing two different things. Poor baby, there's no telling how many times she might have been asking for milk and I just kept saying' "bye-bye". :-)

We taught K a few baby signs and now we're actually learning how to communicate with sign language. I'm not as consistent as I would like to be, but when we're in a store and I sign something to him, he understands what I am telling him without having to say a word. It's especially nice if he wonders off a little ways and I want him to do something, I don't have to yell or run to catch up with him, but can just sign to him.

It's nice to be able to communicate with my 10 month old and actually understand and know what she wants without either one of us getting frustrated trying to guess.

2 comments:

jillacarter said...

I use sign language with Amaya too. I know you don't watch TV but I have a couple of the Baby Signing Time DVDs and she has learned a lot. She learns the sign first and then the word. I think that is why she has such a huge vocabulary!

Mommy N said...

I think it definitely helps in their vocabulary... that and Amaya has a wonderfully smart momma ;-) I saw Signing Times by chance while I was staying at my mom's during a hurricane and I bought ALL the DVDs. We love them! Kale and I have learned a lot from watching them together.