Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ms. Independent

Since my daughter was able to push a chair, she's been pushing it to the fridge to open the door so she could get something to eat when SHE wanted it. She's also been "stealing" frozen fruit from the freezer since she was about 18 months old (as soon as she was strong enough to open the freezer). She really has been showing a lot of independence even from an incredibly young age. Those of you that read this know that she's potty trained, but recently it's hit a whole new level. I used to leave the light on in the bathroom in case she ever wanted to take herself. I quickly realized she couldn't even pull her clothes down so I really didn't have anything to worry about. The other day, it all changed. As I was in the living room talking on the phone, my son come running to me yelling, "Mommy, she needs to go potty." As quickly as I could, being that I'm 38.5 weeks pregnant, I ran to the bathroom only to find my daughter naked, sitting on the potty, and holding her hand out to me telling me "no". Apparently she didn't need or want my help. Not only did she not want my help, but she didn't even want me in the bathroom. She even wiped herself, which is where I insisted on stepping in. I HAD to make sure she was clean. I restrained from laughing because it really wasn't funny, but to see someone so tiny and so independent really is cute. At times her independence can be a little frustrating, but it truly is a blessing knowing that she wants to learn and do things on her own.

No comments: