Tuesday, July 27, 2010

School

Although the summer has been extremely busy, I've had time to reflect on K's school and what we should be doing this upcoming year for kindergarten. Despite what I "think" we should do, God keeps leading me back to what I "know" we should do and the two are completely different. Last year, K started My Father's World K-curriculum. He did 14 weeks of work (in about 30 minutes a day) in a month. I don't think he was challenged enough and got bored. The previous years, we had done Before Five in a Row and started Five in a Row, and he really enjoyed it. I don't think he realized he was learning and although we didn't do much writing those years (he was only 3-4), he learned a tremendous amount and still enjoys reading the books and talking about what he learned.

He can read pretty good, but he's not interested in reading, but he enjoys being read to ~ when he's not playing outside. He's also not interested in writing AT ALL, so his handwriting has a lot to be desired, of course he did just turn 5. The great thing about homeschooling is that you don't have to do what everyone is, but can tailor your child's education based on their personal level and enjoyment. I'm looking forward to this year and "finishing" kindergarten with K and doing pre-K3 with L.

No comments: