Monday, January 3, 2011

First Grade

Today wasn't too bad. It could've been worse that's for sure. You see, K has this idea that he has to know everything and always be right. When he doesn't know something, he gets really impatient and tunes everything out. We're helping him learn that it's O.K. to ask for help when you don't know something as opposed to just when you need something from someone. His math is still a little simple, but he got a little frustrated because he didn't understand what I was asking him to do. While he calmed down, I colored with L. As soon as he was ready, he asked for help and he accomplished the task pretty easily.
I read today that a friend of mine's kindergartner was learning fractions. K just finished his "K" math and there were no fractions. There aren't even fractions in his 1st grade math, but he'll get there. It gets a little hard sometime knowing what the public school system is teaching and knowing that my son isn't learning that right now, but then I realize, we've already talked about that and there are a lot of things the public school won't teach the kids that K will know and he will eventually learn fractions from a workbook as opposed to when we're eating pizza or cooking, which is very practical.
L colored a LOT today. She's getting a lot better at coloring inside the lines. She picked it up pretty quickly once her daddy sat down with her and colored a little. For some reason, I'm O.K. with my daughter coloring outside the lines right now. I'd like for her to start learning her colors. For now, everything is pink. I can hardly get her to count to four with me, but today, I heard her count to 6 when she was looking to see how much formula T had in his bottle. She knows more than she lets us know.

No comments: