Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sugar Shock!

I do have to say that controlling the diet has been a little hard. I like my candy and sweets and I know K does too. He especially like popsicle on a hot summer day. Unfortunately, he's no longer able to have them until after 6 p.m., when he is least effected by all the sugar.

For breakfast, they have boiled egg whites or scrambled eggs or oatmeal and boiled egg whites, or whole wheat pancakes. I try not to give them pancakes too much because of the sugar in the syrup (I haven't bought sugar-free syrup yet). For snacks, they get frozen or fresh fruit, Chex mix, Triscuits, or wheat pretzel sticks. They get to snack almost all day so he's blood sugar won't drop too much. For dinner, they have what we have and then he has to eat again before he goes to bed. It's very time consuming and it seems that all he does is eat, but it make such a difference in his attitude.

For more information about blood sugar and mood swings caused by sugar, read Sugar Shock!. It's a great book that my husband, M, has read and I just started reading that puts a lot of things into perspective and has taught me a lot already.

No comments: