Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cleaning Out the Jungle

The other day while K and I were cleaning out the "jungle" between the house and the garage we came across a few surprises.
As I was shoveling the weeds and grass out and throwing the big chunks of grass to the "trash" pile, K found a surprise. As I cleared out the grass, he tells me, "Look mom, a snake." Of course, as I turned around to see what he was talking about, I quickly noticed that he was holding a snake in his hands. My immediate response was one of panic because it wasn't a green or black garden snake. I'm typically not scared of snakes, but when I saw my 4 yo holding what could be a poisonous snake with his bare hands, I kind of panicked and yelled at him to drop it. Drop it, he did. It was when he dropped it that I realized it was a copperhead. Much to my delight it was already did.
As K continued to carry the dead snake around and I continued cleaning out the garden, I came across an egg. I immediately thought it was a snake egg and was excited about "hatching" it or dissecting it if it were already dead. As I slowly set the egg on the ground, the animal inside came out so quickly that I couldn't figure out what it was. Well, it wasn't a snake, but one of the smallest lizards I have ever seen. Luckily it stayed on the gardening tool long enough for me to take pics of it. The lizard on the handle and the broken egg is under the tool on the left.

No comments: