Saturday, January 3, 2015

Groceries, Lunch, and a New Snack

 I feel like I'm behind and I guess I am. I've been taking pictures, but haven't been uploading. After going to a friend's house that not only has a dog but had some good smelling plug-ins going, I can't seem to go 3 minutes without needing to blow my nose, so I figured it would be a good time to sit around with a box of tissue and catch up.
Last week I had to make a middle of the week grocery run. Aside from the toilet paper, here's what that looks like for us. Although I prefer not letting the kids eat a lot of nuts even though they're on the approved "list" I did buy a can of cashews and a can of mixed nuts. Nuts do make easy snacks if you can eat them. As you can see, lots of fruit and some veggies. The pineapple didn't make it an hour and my daughter apparently LOVES uncooked broccoli, which is a good thing considered how vita-rich it is.

 My 4 year old has been begging for popcorn shrimp again so I got back on pinterest, found the recipe and made him some popcorn shrimp. The recipe below is my adapted version. You can find the original on my pinterest recipe board.
Here's the recipe I used:
  • 1 cup oats 
  • 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 egg white, whisked
  • 1 lb. raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • cooking spray
  • lemon wedges and chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

DIRECTIONS:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Mix 1 cup of oats in blender to create a fine dipping powder.
In a medium bowl, whisk together oaks, parmesan, seasoning, salt and pepper until combined.
Set up your dipping station with bowls of (1) shrimp (2) egg whites and (3) breading. To speed things along I put a few shrimp in the egg mixture at one time. Dip the shrimp in the egg whites until they're covered. Then transfer to the breadcrumb mixture and toss until covered. Gently place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining shrimp, then generously coat all of the shrimp with a layer of cooking spray. (This will help the breading turn golden.)
I baked on each side for about 6-8 minutes and although it wasn't browned like what my kids are used to eating and seeing, my 4 year old loved them.
 After lunch, we needed a new snack and I read about the benefits of pomegranate and how to de-seed, so I figured why not. I enjoyed the little burst of sweetness each seed gave, but apparently I was the only one. The kids didn't care for them and they lasted a day or so in the fridge... well, until I ate them.

No comments: