Saturday, January 3, 2015

Mashed Cauliflower

My husband is an amazing cook! Unfortunately he still LOVES his seasoning and although he's tamed it down A LOT for us because I'm not able to handle spices like he does, I'm still trying to stay away from mixed seasoning and all of the preservatives. He planned on cooking some meat and asked me to make some cauliflower mashed potatoes to go along with it, so I did. All I can say is... they were GOOD! Well, at least I thought so. He said he could tell they weren't real mashed potatoes but the kids couldn't and that's what matters right?
The gravy shown is made from bone broth, fat, and arrowroot to thicken it.
For the mashed cauliflower it seemed that most of the recipes called for ingredients that weren't GAPS or candida approved (like heavy whipping cream) and I can't find the one I used as a guide, but here's the essence of what I did

1. Head of Cauliflower cut into small florets
2. 1/2 cup of coconut milk 
3. 1/4 tsp black pepper
4. 1 tsp of sea salt
5. 1 tsp of parsley
6. 2 tsp of ghee or coconut oil
7. 1 tsp of garlic (we like garlic)
~ Boil cauliflower (in bone broth or meat stock preferably)
~ drain cauliflower (keep excess broth to use again later)
~ put  tender cauliflower into blender and mix until creamy
~ add a cup of coconut milk 
~ add 1/4 cup of coconut cream (from milk)
~ add preferred seasonings and blend 
If you prefer thicker mashings, add more coconut cream from coconut milk or add more coconut milk to get creamier mashed cauliflower.


The mashed cauliflower didn't extend past this meal. It was all gone before I really got a chance to eat. Definitely a great option to replace mashed notates, much to my husband's dismay.
Did I mention how thankful I am for a husband that cooks??? 

No comments: