Thursday, January 8, 2015

Homemade Shampoo

I love it when I find a brown box on my doorstep and since I got Amazon happy the day after Christmas, the packages arrived almost daily for about a week. It was pretty fabulous. On this day, I got all of the goodies you see below. It was now time to start creating my own shampoo! Diatomaceous Earth is a natural detox and energy drink. In trying to rid my body of candida, I heard that parasites often reside alongside candida. There were a few parasite detoxes, but I read a couple about DE food grade and was sold. It's SUPER easy to take a tsp of this a day in a small glass of water. The ONLY problem is that it's really THE BEST energy drink I've ever had! It doesn't have a taster, but man oh man does it give me energy... and clarity. I made the mistake of taking a tsp about 3 PM one day... I had to MAKE myself go to bed at 12:30, but I felt SO rested the next morning. The benefits far outweigh the extreme amount of energy that I get from taking such a small dose.

 Let the mixing begin. I was SO ready to start getting the chemicals out of my bathroom and my body!
1/2 cup coconut milk (found in international aisle)
2/3 cup castille soap (I used Dr. Bronner's baby mild)
1 tsp Vit E oil (I used olive oil. It is NOT the same so I wouldn't recommend!)
1 tsp of liquid coconut oil (melt in microwave)
Mix any oils for scents that you want. 

Mix everything together as shown below and put in an old shampoo bottle. You will want to shake the bottle before every use. I use about a tsp every time. This should last about a month in the shower. 

Initially I LOVED the way it gave my body volume after washing it the first time. Then... oh then... Ha.. then I went to bed and woke up with THE greasiest hair EVER! I guess I didn't rinse it well enough. Or maybe I did. I'm not sure if it was the shampoo or new homemade conditioner I used that caused the greasiness, but once I showered again in the morning and rinsed some more, it was fine. The next day my hair looked great. 
I've been using this homemade shampoo for about a week and I've learned that I do NOT have to wash my hair every day. It actually does better when I go at least one day without washing it. My hair has more volume now, which is something I never had before.  

Coming soon... 
Homemade conditioner, deodorant ( which I LOVE) and toothpaste (that got immediate results).  







No comments: