Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Clean eating!

I found a fabulous recipe on pinterest that's made with spaghetti squash and eggs... Instead of hashbrowns it's squash patties. I think it's yummy. The kids don't think so.
 After you cook your butternut squash in the oven for about 40 minutes on 350, use a fork to remove the spaghetti noodles.
After removing the noodles, put about a cup of noodles in a towel and wring out the excess water. As  you can see from the picture below, spaghetti squash holds a lot of water.
After you have removed the water from your cup of noodles, add 2 eggs, salt, cinnamon (if you want) and any other breakfast seasoning you might like.
Mix everything together and then put spoons of mixture on a preheated low temp pan coated with ghee or coconut oil.
Let cook for a few minutes and after it starts browning, flip to other side for 2-3 mins and you're ready to eat.
I thought they had just the right amount of sweetness. The first time I made it with coconut oil and the second time I made it with ghee. I preferred the ghee. I do not have a finished picture, but you can find me on pinterest and find the full recipe there.

 For one of their many... and when I say many, I mean MANY snacks of the day, I'm blessed that my kiddos like cucumbers. In doing our best to avoid dairy, they had their slices with salt and my oldest actually really liked it. They ate an entire cucumber.




For dinner that night we had butternut squash lasagna, yet again ANOTHER pinterest recipe. :-) I've never been accused of being a good cook, except when I lived at home and my mom thought almost everything I cooked was good because that means she didn't have to cook.

This recipe was pretty simple.
1. Preheat over to 350.
2. Brown ground meat of choice with fine chopped onions and 1-2 tsp of garlic.
3. Slice butternut squash into very thin rounds. The thinner the better so they cook evenly.
If you make your own meat sauce, go ahead and get it out because you will need it here. If you're still using store bought, then that will work fine too, but it will not fall under Whole30, Paleo, or GAPS diet since it's not natural and has extra ingredients.
4. Combine sauce and ground meat and layer bottom of pan.
5. Layer sauce with squash rounds.
6. Layer with more sauce.
7. Add last layer of squash rounds.
8. Top with 2 beaten eggs. Make sure eggs go in between all of the cracks and open pores.
9. Put in over for about 35 minutes or until eggs are done.
The longer you leave it cooking, the softer the squash rounds will be.


I ate mine with a little sauerkraut on the side. I though it was good but the kids only liked the meat. They do not have a taste for butternut squash yet.
On a side note, my daughter's eczema on the back of her arms seems to be getting better.

No comments: