Sunday, May 31, 2009

Berry Picking

Today, while I was adding to our compost pile, which is close to a blackberry bush, I decided to go on a hunt for more berries. It seems as though every time I dump something in the compost there are more berries and we eat them as we pick them. Eating one berry at a time gets old since our family loves fruit so much, so, Courtney, K, and I set out on a search for more berries. We didn't have to go very far into the woods next to our house to spot ripe blackberries. They were everywhere. It reminded me of when I was a kid and I used to pick berries in the summer. Before we started picking, we went inside and grabbed one of Baby L's oversized empty yogurt containers to hold the berries.

As we ventured through the woods, we came across a lot of bushes and we almost filled an entire container. We probably would have if K wouldn't have been steadily eating them as Courtney and I picked them. Did I mention he likes fruit? As we ventured through the woods, much to my surprise we came across a blueberry tree too. YEAH!!! We now have fresh organic blueberries at my disposal. And to think, not even a couple of hours earlier Courtney was asking me to buy blackberries at the grocery store. Picking them in your backyard is not only cheaper, but it's a lot more fun and creates wonderful memories.

*I would have taken pictures, but my camera was hiding in the couch and I didn't find it until much later.

No comments: