Wednesday, March 11, 2009

We're Back!!!!

M and I got home yesterday, Tuesday, about 3:30 p.m. Since I did not take a computer with us, I know.... I know...., I wrote about our daily adventures and will post about it with pictures in the next day or so. For now, I'm trying to take in the loss of K's "adopted grandparent's" son and Ms. Alex's brother's tragic death. For those of you that are in our area and heard about the wreck this past weekend in Vidor, that's whose family I am praying for in so many ways. Let me tell you a little about him and his family.

I've known Ms. Pat, Mr. Kenny, and Ms. Alex for about 2.5 years. They have been so wonderful to us and have literally watched my children grow up and even consider them their own. In the few years that I have known them, I didn't get to spend much time with or talk too much to Nick, but I had met him. Nick seemed to be a very private young man who actually thought I was a college friend of Alex's - Thanks, Nick! ;-) I think he was a little surprised when he found out I was K's mom... but he was polite and never asked my age.

This past weekend while we were on vacation, I received a phone call from Alex letting us know about what had happened. I'm glad she didn't wait until we got back. You see, Nick was on his way home from Beaumont late Friday night/early Saturday morning when he hit a truck. The driver of the truck was drunk and had hit a concrete barrier and then turned off her lights, making her truck almost invisible to others. Nick's family got the dreaded knock on the door and unwanted visit about 4 a.m. Saturday, just hours after Nick had died on impact. As you can probably guess, there was a lot of anger. Why does it always seem as though the drunk driver walks away with little to no harm to them? Although I would never wish any harm be done to someone, you can't help but wonder why sometimes. I think his family is getting their answers in so many unexpected ways.

Today was a "good day". Nick's family received a couple of phone calls today, which I truly believe could be called blessings. Nick had a few personal things for sale in the paper; his family got a call from a missionary in Honduras needing everything that Nick was selling. They were able to donate everything. In his death, he's still helping others.

The family also got a message and phone call from a trucker that saw everything and was taking Nick's pulse at the wreck within 10 seconds of it occuring. You see, what the paper didn't say that the trucker saw, was that the driver of the vehicle was literally in the middle of the Highway yelling at the trucker for a cell phone to call someone so the police wouldn't get her. Nick had a choice. He could have either hit the lady or hit her truck. He chose the truck and it took his life but saved hers. Nick died on impact. Even in his last moments, he was thinking of someone else. He didn't hesitate and didn't suffer. K told me today yesterday that he will get to see Nick again when he becomes an angel and goes to Heaven.

Nick, you will be missed by so many! Although you no longer feel pain, I will continue to pray for his family that will not miss a day in which they won't think of him or the memories he left behind.

I love you Alex, Pat, and Kenny! You truly are like family to us.

No comments: