Sunday, June 28, 2009

Do You Water Your Grass?

As K and I were riding our bikes through the neighborhood this evening, I couldn't help but notice how some of the yards were a brilliant green and well taken care of while others (mine included) were lacking in brilliance and looked more like dirt than grass. With no rain for about a month or more and temperatures around 100 degrees, how could they be anything but dead?
As we continued riding, I noticed the only difference between the brilliant green yards and mine were the sprinklers. The beautiful green yards were being watered either by sprinklers or by the owner.

As we continued biking, I couldn't help but wonder if that's what God sees in us sometimes. There are moments in my life when I seek His guidance above anything and everything else. I dive into the Word to find my answer. I pray. I ask my closest friends to pray for me. I pray some more. It's during these times that I am like the watered grass. I am brilliant in color and easy to look at (and deal with). I don't cause harm and my "stickers", although they are there, are hidden beneath the lush grass that is soft to walk on and houses many of God's creatures. My children enjoy being around me just like they enjoy walking and running in the green grass.


Then there are times, like the unwatered grass, that my "stickers" of anger, bitterness, and resentment, are wide open for everyone that passes by to see. I don't seek His guidance and therefore am left thirsty, wanting water (His Word) and not knowing what I need to do or how I need to act. Although I am never hopeless, I am sometimes left wondering what my purpose is.

I'm in a season of green grass right now and I will do my best to stay there, but the truth is that droughts do happen. The water hose (God's Word) is always available, it's what I do with it that determines if my grass (spiritual life) will grow or if it will die.

The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. Isaiah 58:11




No comments: