Monday, February 28, 2011

I finished!!!

I did it! That's what the front of the shirt says and it's true. The Disney Princess Half Marathon can officially be crossed off my bucket list (although it never actually got on it because I don't know what happened to it).



Seven friends took this journey together this past weekend. We all survived and crossed the finish line. It was SO worth it! I had a blast getting to know the ladies and run on the heels of several Snow Whites, Pocahantes, Jasmines (even the guy dressed as Jasmine), Sleeping Beauty (there was a male one of these too), the frog from Princess and the Frog, and a couple of Captain Amercias.



Upon our arrival (which was 2 hours late) Friday evening after dropping our luggage off at the Port Orleans Riverside Resort, we headed to Epcot. We had fun riding a couple of rides and famliarizing ourselves with the transportation system. This is where I should say that I am SO glad I figured it out without the kids because it was a little confusing.



Saturday, we spent the day in Universal Studios and the finished the short evening at Downtown Disney in hopes of getting to bed early for our 3 a.m. departure the next morning for our race. We were all tired and restless. So much, that when I heard the crying baby outside our room a few minutes after I had falled asleep, I jumped out of bed, waking the girl I shared the bed with, only to quickly realize it was NOT my little man. He had stayed home with my mom and grandmother. LOL!



Needless to say, 3 a.m. came REALLY early and very quickly! Despite only have about 5 hours of sleep, we were all in our designated corral at 5 a.m. with the other 13,000+ runners.

The first corral was released at 5:45 and then the remaining were released in 15 min increments. Just like the first corral was released to fireworks, our was too at 6:30ish. Along the route, there were pirates, princes, princesses, pirate ships, and wonderfully lit mile markers. The best mile marker was the 1/2 way mark through the Magic Kingdom 's Castle. It was my first time through it and it was beautiful!

A friend of mine and I ran together almost the entire way. After sprinting the last 3/4 mile, I finished in 2,445th place with a time of 2:16.

No comments: